HVAC Mechanic (Full-time, 2nd Shift)
Company: Government jobs
Posted on: January 27, 2023
General Information & Responsibilities
Black Hawk College seeks a full-time HVAC Mechanic for the Quad
Cities Campus located in Moline, IL. Position will work 2nd shift
from 2:30pm - 11:00pm, Monday - Friday.
The HVAC Mechanic responds to signals and commands which are
generated by the Johnson Control Metasys System, or communications
left by Facilities Superintendent or other Console/HVAC staff;
provides general maintenance work as needed to physical plant.
Description of Duties
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Completes written reports regarding maintenance and/or the
console system in a timely manner.
- Maintains an up-to-date complete working knowledge of the
operation of the console and interpreting the logs and signals into
understandable maintenance assignments.
- Completes written reports regarding unusual sights or
happenings observed during the shift which may affect the safety of
people and/or the buildings and the contents; reports in writing
any irregularities which might affect the operation of the physical
- Responsible for keeping close watch on mechanical equipment and
for making minor repairs on mechanical equipment as required.
- Makes a minimum of two rounds on each shift to all mechanical
rooms; listens and visually observes equipment in operation; logs
verbally and/or in writing any variances; passes information
regarding variances to the next shift and/or if critical
immediately notifies supervisor (or designee).
- Actions taken regarding mechanical equipment are noted on work
orders and passed to the next shift or reference; notifications
must also be provided to the Facilities Superintendent.
- Performs miscellaneous building maintenance assignments to the
interior exterior of buildings as directed.
- Responsible for performing major repairs of equipment as
necessary (full-time HVAC Mechanics).
- Completes routine and scheduled preventative maintenance
assignments including but not limited to: boilers, chiller, air
handling equipment, pumps, fans, motors, lighting, furniture
repairs, plumbing, etc.
- Performs visual inspections at the Outreach Center and checks
for maintenance issues and reports findings as necessary; in event
of an emergency situation immediately reports to Facilities
Superintendent (or designee).
- Provides training to HVAC/Console staff regarding work related
information and duties.
- Responsible for working first, second, or third shift as needed
with shift differential as provided.
- Responsible for following all federal, state, local, and
departmental safety regulations.
- Attends required trainings as needed.
- Maintains satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record.DESCRIPTION OF
- Performs painting duties as required.
- Assists other HVAC/Console staff in performing maintenance work
- Responsible for providing back-up, night-time and weekend
telephone answering service to the College; disseminates messages
- Performs other job-related duties as required.OVERALL
- Demonstrates BHC core values.
- Accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness of work.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to communicate in pleasant manner others.
- Dependability.PRINCIPAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Works directly with the Facilities Superintendent.
- Works cooperatively with other Console and HVAC staff.
- Works cooperatively with the College Police to provide maximum
communication and safety to all personnel on campus.
- Works cooperatively with Custodial staff to ensure safety and
security of entire plant.
- Works cooperatively with vendors as needed.
- Works cooperatively with other College employees as needed.
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or recognized equivalent required.
Completion of courses in electrical or mechanical technology or
trade school background desired.
- Minimum of three years of Building maintenance experience or
background required. Trade experience is acceptable.
- Must be completely dependable and neat in personal appearance
and have the ability and willingness to follow instructions.
- Must be alert at all times and able to react calmly in an
- Mechanical background and interest are essential.
- Must be able to communicate well with people from all walks of
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment required.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 pounds required.
- Basic knowledge of computer systems and how they work, plus the
ability to read and understand instructional manuals and interpret
data from Honeywell Console into work assignments.
- Valid driver's license required. Supplemental Information
BHC provides an outstanding benefits package including health
insurance, paid sick leave, paid, vacation, paid holidays, free
tuition and more. Be sure to check out the Benefits tab of this
Please note - On July 12, 2022, Illinois Governor J. D. Pritzker
rescinded Executive Order 2022-16, Vaccination or Test Mandate.
As a result, anyone entering Black Hawk College campus locations
who are not fully vaccinated will no longer be required to submit
to weekly COVID-19 compliance testing. However, contact tracing
will continue to be conducted and individuals need to report a
positive COVID-19 test, symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or close
contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19, regardless of
We encourage everyone to continue to self-monitor for COVID-19
symptoms regardless of vaccination status. If you have questions
regarding COVID-19 or testing mandates, please contact Nikki
Rumburg, COVID and Crisis Response Project Manager at
Black Hawk College does not sponsor employment visas.
Black Hawk College is an AA/EEO employer.
While you contribute your talent and enthusiasm to BHC, as an
eligible employee you will have access to outstanding health
benefits, ample time off, a pension plan, educational
opportunities, and much more. In this section, you will find an
overview of our comprehensive and generous benefit programs. Be
sure to check out the Compensation section as well.
Prescription Drug Plan
Mail Order Pharmacy
Basic Life Insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA)
Free use of fitness center
Retirement Pension Plans
State University Retirement System of Illinois (SURS): Employees
working in a regular and continuous position or one in which
services are expected to be rendered on a continuous basis for at
least four months or one academic term, whichever is less, may be
eligible to enroll in SURS. To learn more about SURS, visit
Optional 403b Tax-Deferred Investment Program: Employees may set up
a 403b plan through Empower Retirement.
01 Do you have a high school diploma or the recognized
02 Do you have building maintenance experience or trade experience
03 Are you able to lift up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis?
04 Do you have a valid driver's license?
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Moline , HVAC Mechanic (Full-time, 2nd Shift), Professions , Moline, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!